Monday, August 25, 2014

26. Tick Tock

It didn't take long to remind me why I hate the school year.  I don't really mind waking up early, because it does help to give a head start on the day.  But getting up at 6:10a every morning only to be angry, annoyed, or stressed by 6:25a isn't really how I want to spend the early minutes of my day.  

J has had trouble sleeping these days so he's usually cranky in the mornings.  It's a battle to get him to sit down for breakfast and then afterwards brush his teeth.  He has plenty of time to get everything done, but each step seems to be a battle.

He goes through tics every few months, where one will go away just to be replaced by something new.  It's always been a physical tic, but now he makes sounds - constant sounds every 5-10 seconds. The sounds slow when he reads, but otherwise he can be sitting at the table eating and in between bites he makes the noise.  We'll be watching television and he'll make the noise.  It is so constant and loud that it is beginning to disrupt everyday life.  It is not something that is easily ignored.

I think I am more annoyed than anyone else in the house by the tic.  Maybe it's because I am around it most, and I feel that since I deal with all these other fun aspects of autism, I don't also want to deal with one that is just a persistent noise.  His therapist understood my frustration and understood why it was disruptive and worked with J to find a technique that would at least lessen the volume of the noise.  Except J doesn't want to work on it.  The kids at school don't comment (according to him) and so he doesn't see a need to stop or change.

This tic seems to have lasted longer than the others - but that's probably because it far more annoying than anything else we've dealt with.  While I write the next couple paragraphs, I'm going to point out every time I hear the tic.

He's always walked on his toes (tic), but now he (tic) also kicks the backs of his own heels as he walks.  I haven't (tic) figured that one out yet, to be honest.  And it (tic) may not be a tic in the traditional sense, but it (tic) is (tic) something new that (tic) has crept up in the last couple months.  It will probably go away as all the other tics do (tic).  When he gets overwhelmed in groups of people, he does stem, but sometimes it will overlap and even when he's home he will continue to do it for a few days (tic) as though (tic) it (tic)(tic)(tic) has turned into a (tic) tic (tic)(tic). (tic) Normally when he's in crowds (tic) he (tic) will (tic) (tic) start to roll his eyes around in his head, as though he is truly struggling to focus on something and instead his eyes are focusing on everything at once.  He only does it in crowds or closed spaces (tic)(tic)(tic)(tic)(tic)(tic) so I do think it's a form of (tic) coping with this, except a few days later, he will still do it until it slowly dissipates.  (tic)(tic)(tic)(tic)

I started writing the above paragraph at 6:50a and stopped at 6:55a.  During this time, J was tying his shoes.

Maybe one day I will learn to ignore the tic.

*snort*

Sorry.  I just realized that I know that won't happen.  I wish I could 100% accepting of all tics and noises and fun aspects of autism, but I can't.  This one drives me crazy.  I keep my cool so well overall, but this tic has taken all enjoyment out of watching a movie together or playing a game.  I want that enjoyment back.  I don't know when I will get it.

But I don't want to end this blog post on a negative note.  So I will end with two pictures of Tiny the baby who started the 1's preschool class at the church up the road!  He has his very own backpack and spends the morning with seven other little 1's, learning shapes and colors.  He had so much fun on his first day of school!  The pictures are from the very first day of school.



No comments:

Post a Comment