Wednesday, August 6, 2014

24. School Again!

Today was the first day of school.  Alarms went off at six this morning, which was the earliest I have gotten up since May.  The morning went well, zero incidences.  Tiny usually sleeps until at least 8:30a and the bus comes a little after 7:00a, which gives me a lot of time in the mornings.  Last year I went back to sleep, but this year I thought I should be more productive and use this time to my advantage, so I've decided to start exercising during this time.  I do hope to lose weight, but also just get in better shape.  It's nice to have a lot of energy to run after the kids and I do enjoy being active.  

Last school year I had a list on how to earn pebbles (our reward system) for having good mornings and this morning was a very good morning, so pebbles were given!  We had over fifteen minutes of free time before having to go wait for the bus, which doesn't always happen because J has so many difficult mornings.  This was a great way to start the year!

Yesterday was the first Open House, where we went to meet the teachers and sign up for the After School Program (ASP).  J wants to do Science Olympiad, which is on Tuesdays, and then he will go to ASP one afternoon a week to have fun, play with some of his friends.  J's teacher has experience in special education and when I introduced myself to her, she was fully aware of J and had already spoken to his teachers from last year.  Everything I said to her about J she wrote down in her notes so I felt she was really listening and paying attention.  I left with a good feeling ... and a huge stack of papers to fill out for the school year.

Then we went to see the gifted teachers.  We got more information on the things they are going to do this year, and we also left with more papers to fill out!  The coolest part of the gifted program this year is that the kids are going to make a Lego amusement park.  I don't know all the details, but I know Legos are a big deal in this house!  So anything with Legos will be awesome.

The scary part of school is that it's almost eight hours of not being with J, six and a half hours of school and two half-hour bus rides.  I don't feel the need to always be with him, but I get so many emails from teachers about incidences at school that I often feel lost as to how to respond.  I can talk to him when he gets home, but once something is after-the-fact, J doesn't want to talk about it or he won't talk about or he'll just say "I don't remember."  I can give teachers advice or encouragement, but if I'm not there to help, guide, or correct in the moment then there's often not much I can do from home.  I hate the feeling that my child is a burden on the teachers, but that's often the feeling I am left with.  Last year his homeroom teacher was really great and understanding, but this is one of the only times I have felt comfortable with J's teacher.  Usually I am left with "Please address J's behavior."  Right.  Thank you.  So I'm praying this year will be great!

To give the boys more responsibility, this year they are both going to make their own lunches.  J was a little nervous because he wasn't sure how he would know what to pack.  So I made an easy chart so everyone would know what to put in their lunch boxes and it's on the front of the fridge.  Both boys find making their lunch really exciting.  


I am hoping for a good school year.  I am still working out therapy schedules so that everything can fall easily into place and be on a very set schedule.  It's a work in progress, but I am remaining hopeful.  I'd like to have everything happen on the same days of the week, but we will just have to see how that works out.  Tiny will be in the 1's class at the church around the corner two days a week, so for six hours a week I will be childless while everyone is in school!  Hopefully I will be able to get some work done at the house and run errands more quickly since I won't have children to get in and out of the car and direct around stores.  It'll be very relaxing to just do my shopping with a baby yelling at the other customers (he's very friendly, but very loud!)


Gryffindor backpack again this year.  And a Star Wars t-shirt.  
We like for our fandoms to collide around here!


No comments:

Post a Comment